An essential portion of any software development project because decisions made in this step will be troublesome to improve next on in the development cycle.
Absence of research before beginning a project
- Check that all designed features work on all required platforms.
The minimally recommended devices for your project aren't designated
- Define the minimally recommended technique (s) for your content.
- Have them accessible to your development and QA group.
- Do this, and you'll be capable of setting a reasonable frame and budget
Asset budgets and Frames don't get set briefly on.
- Define funds for:
- Models — how many points is the target device capable of rendering?
- Assets — how particular should textures and models be?
- Rendering and Scripts — what Percent of the frame do you have for rendering, logic, effects, and other sub-systems?.
The asset pipeline method is poorly planned
- This method is all about capturing assets according to the specs from professionals into the project.
- If feasible, involve a technical expert from the start to define this process.
- Define clear guidelines on asset specs and formats.
- Sum import time tests.
Wrong methods and errors during development decrease the team down and weaken the condition of the ultimate product.
Version control is set up inaccurately
- Use text serialization (by default in Unity).
- Set up a built-in YAML merge tool.
- Set up, engage hooks.
The Cache Server is not applied
- Changing platforms drop development speed.
- Be sure to set up the latest open-source Cache Server for your unit.
Static data is collected in XML or JSON files
- It ends in slow loading.
- Parsing produces garbage.
- Alternately, for built-in static data, use ScriptableObjects with custom editor tools.
The project contains unused plugins, assets, and replicated libraries
There's a great possibility that remaining assets in your plan are getting developed inside the game. Be sure that you don't forget garbage in your design — if you set up a version control system, restoring files would be easy.
- Check what dependences assets from the Asset Store draw into the project. You might be stunned, realizing that you have five various JSON libraries in the design.
- Outdated scripts and assets from prototypes.
- The usage of transferring old assets to the "removed" folder still happens in scripts and resources being developed into the game.
Repeated actions need manual work
- For each constant task, there should be a script that automates it.
- Be sure that you can "play" the game or interactive content from unspecified view.
- Automate all the actions of the build method, so that the application can be created with locally or Cloud Build with a click of a switch.
Profiling your design in the Editor only
- Regularly profile the content on your purpose device; if your profile in the Editor alone, you can miss the real performance.